The Postdoctoral Fellow will perform research on teaching and learning to inform the development of graduate student support programs in the Center for Teaching and Learning at the University of Texas (UT) at Austin and will assist in disseminating knowledge about effective college teaching practices to graduate student instructors.
- Research element will involve the design, implementation, and management of graduate student support programs of various types (both cohort-and workshop-based) at UT and may involve cross-institutional research on graduate student support programs and outcomes.
- Teaching element will involve providing information and advice to graduate students in one-on-one consultations, workshops, and a semester-length seminar. This will facilitate their development as university-level instructors.
- Supervise graduate student assistants with conducting research, teaching, writing, and prioritizing work responsibilities. May travel to other universities to conduct research and disseminate best-practices in college level teaching and learning.
- Collaborate with CTL staff to develop content for online sites that present evidence-based college-teaching practices and information about careers in higher education.
- Collaborate with the Graduate School and departmental graduate advisors across campus to support graduate students in their teaching endeavors and support graduate programs.
- Earned Ph.D.
- Teaching experience at the university level
- Experience and/or strong interest in conducting research on graduate student development
- A record of conference presentations and publications or strong potential for publication
- Experience supervising research assistants and interpersonal skills that promote team building
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Proficiency in computer applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint) and statistical software (e.g., SPSS).
Please send (1) a letter of interest, (2) current vita, (3) and contact information for at least three references to Joanna Gilmore at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date available: Immediately
Position duration: Funding expected to continue
Monthly salary: $4166 negotiable depending on qualifications.
Hours per week: 40.00
Hiring department: Center for Teaching and Learning
Joanna Gilmore, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Graduate Student Instructor Program
Center for Teaching and Learning
The University of Texas at Austin